Critical Reflection

 Module learning 

At the start of the course, I have set goals to improve my public speaking skills by becoming more daring and confident to speak in class and try to not rely too much on my written script. In the past, when I was delivering my speech I would read directly from my script or memorize my script. I did not notice that this would leave the audience thinking that I do not understand my topic well and that I am not confident with my topic. However, I only noticed this after the latest presentation whereby I suddenly forgot my script and paused in the middle of my pitch that I should not overly rely on a script and be more confident in the content that I want to convey to my audience. Even though it might be too late to reflect on this since the module has already came to an end, but as the saying goes better late then never. Previously, I was shy and timid so I seldom initiate a conversation with anyone whom I met for the first time. But in this module, Prof conducts his lessons in a different and unique way, we have to work with different people for different work purposes. This helps me to overcome my fear and communicate with people whom I met for the first time easily. Through this module I have learnt how to apply critical thinking using the Paul-Elder framework. It enhances the quality of my thinking and allows me to express them to my audience and readers clearly. Though at times it is unavoidable for me to have biased thoughts, Paul-Elder's framework helps me to rethink and reconsider my opinions. 


Project learning 


For my research project, I feel that there was a challenge for me in communicating with my teammates at the beginning because I have very minimal knowledge about the research topic which we have decided. But my teammates were very patient in sharing their knowledge with me and checking my progress on digesting the information which were shared to me. I believe that this is where teamwork is slowly building up between me and my teammates. I am very grateful to have Bing Rui as our team leader, he gives constructive feedback to our team on our presentation and our report. I mentioned earlier in my module learning reflection that I blanked out during my presentation, Bing Rui tried his very best to remind me of what I have to say by mouthing the next point which I have to say. I was very nervous and afraid before the presentation, and so were my teammates but they tried their best to not make me less nervous by telling me some effective techniques to help relax the nervousness. For report writing, there are setbacks in our process to come out with solutions for our problem. We are unable to find the exact number of coils in its electromagnetic generator as this is considered as a top secret in the industry of kinetic floor tiles.  In general, other than the problem with the number of coils in the electromagnetic generator there was not too much problem. 


To conclude this critical reflection, I feel that effective communication is definitely not a 100% school based module, unlike mathematics where it is more than 95% book-based and the learning stops after I graduate from university. Verbal communication is not, it is a life-time module, the learning does not stop at university. I have to constantly improve my verbal skills everyday.


Comments

  1. Dear Yen Teing,


    Thank you very much for this highly detailed critical reflection. I appreciate how you’ve addressed key facets of both your module learning and the project and that you considered aspects of the work you did, the challenges faced and multiple takeaways. I'm especially interested in your view of growth in terms of speaking skills. You’ve also written with good fluency.

    All the best as you continue your learning journey!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment