Week 2 - Self-Introduction letter

Subject: Self-Introduction letter

Dear Professor Blackstone

My name is Wong Yen Teing. I hope that you will be able to know me better through this self-introductory letter. I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic with a diploma in robotics and mechatronics in 2021. To further pursue my studies in mechanical engineering, I am currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering at Singapore Institute of Technology.

I loved every module I have studied in polytechnic years one and two; it was a very new and interesting experience to me. However, my interest in mechanical engineering only sparked in year three when I went for my internship. That’s where I get to experience what an engineer does. I really enjoy the sense of achievement when I help to solve a problem with my knowledge. This internship experience led me on deciding that I need to enhance my knowledge in engineering to become a more versatile engineer.

My communication strength is I am an active listener. Rather than talking, I prefer to listen as I believe that listening is an important segment of communication. My communication weakness is I would often be nervous and not confident when it comes to presenting in crowd. I need to prepare a script in advance and practice multiple times before I can present in a crowd. However, even with a script I am still afraid of speaking in crowds.

I have two goals for this module. Firstly, I hope to be more daring and confident to speak in class. Secondly, I hope to improve my communication writing skills. I strongly believe that communication skills are an important aspect of our life; I will work hard on improving myself.

Lastly to end off my letter, I would like to share one fun fact about me. I love to watch Korean drama; due to my love and passion in Korean language and culture, I took basic Korean lessons as an elective module in polytechnic. However, I am unable to read and write Korean language. Thank you for reading my letter and I look forward to improve myself by the end of this module.

Best Regards

Yen Teing

Edited on 4 April 2022

Commented on 

Zheng Xinyi 

Marcus Leung 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yen Teing,

    Thank you for writing this. I enjoyed reading your letter and able to know more about you through this letter. The letter is well organised in structured paragraphs.

    However, there is some space for improvement as there are lengthy sentences and minior punctuation issues. The content can be improved by having more concise points to prevent repetitive or long sentences, that may confused readers and cause them to lose interest while reading it.

    Best wishes,
    Luo Fei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Luo Fei,

      Thank you for the feedback. I will improve my writing.

      Regards,
      Yen Teing

      Delete
  3. Dear Yen Tieng,

    Thank you for this fairly clear, concise and informative letter. You do a good job covering the scope of the assignment as you detail your background, comm skills levels and goals for the module. What's noteworthy is your interest in problem solving and the honest reflection on the lack of confidence when presenting. Of course, I hope you do have chance step by step to come out of your shell in class and speak more.

    There are also numerous issues in this letter that need some revision. (Nothing is written in stone yet; yours is just a first draft.)

    1. sentence structure
    -- I loved every module I have studied in polytechnic years one and two, it was very new and interesting to me. > (comma splice/verb tense)
    I loved every module I studied in polytechnic years one and two; it was a very new and interesting experience to me.

    -- My communication strength is I am an active listener, rather than talking I prefer to listen as I believe that listening is an important segment of communication. > (comma splice)

    -- I strongly believe that communication skills are an important aspect of our life, I will work hard on improving myself. > (comma splice)

    -- I love to watch Korean drama, due to my love.... > (comma splice)

    2. verb issues

    -- However, my interest in mechanical engineering only spark in year three when I went for my internship, where I get to experience what an engineer does. > (verb tense) ?

    3. lack of clarity
    -- I was at that time I decided that I need to enhance my knowledge... > ?

    I look forward to your revision and future writing.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Blackstone

      Thank you for reading my introduction letter and pointing out the areas which I can improve. I will edit my letter and update on blog.

      Best Regards
      Yen Teing

      Delete

Post a Comment